The only 17,500 sq. ft. beauty conglomerate in the state of Indiana!
In 1992, Josef and Shaun opened their first salon together. It was a small 4 station salon off of 10th Street. Avant Gard has gone into their fourth move due to growth. Each move is making us more proud than the last! Avant Gard is currently a 20 station salon occupying 8,300 square feet in the new location. To enhance our guest’s experience, we will soon be adding a Spa and Boutique to our location.
Josef and Shaun are extremely proud of the Avant Gard team and the accomplishments they have achieved as a whole. The salon has won many accolades, bringing recognition to the Hendricks County and Indianapolis areas. Some of our recognitions include:
- TOP SALON IN THE NATION Short Hair Publication 2013- Harrison Publications
- BEST COLOR SALON— “Elle” Magazine
- BEST SALON IN TOWN— “Elle” Magazine
- BEST FASHION SALON-“ W” Magazine
- BEST COLOR SALON— “Allure” Magazine
- THE IMAGE MAKERS— “Allure” Magazine
- SHAUN was awarded TOP DESIGNER— “Indianapolis Monthly”
- BEST BEAUTY SPOT— “Vogue” Magazine
- BEST SALON — “Hendricks County Flyer”
- TOP SALON IN THE NATION— “Modern Salon”
- A-LIST RUNNER-UP 2007
- A-LIST TOP SALON 2008
- A-LIST TOP 5 2009
- The School has been honored with: BEST COSMETOLOGY SCHOOL IN THE NATION 2009
The Salon has been honored to have taken care of celebrities such as:
- John Mayer
- Tony Stewart
- Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu and his wife
- Indy’s Newscasters
- Firebird Cheerleaders
- Racing Drivers and Teams
- All of our Hendricks County Patrons!!
The Salon has hosted and continued to promote local charities such as:
- Hendricks County Humane Society – Avant Gard Blow-Out Benefit raised $10,000
- Sheltering Wings Fashion Shows
- Many Cut-A-Thon’s for local schools and charities
- American Cancer Society events
- Face painting at the Colt’s games for the Susan G. Komen Foundation
- Small fashion shows for Breast Cancer Awareness and Domestic Violence Awareness
- Official Salon of the Indy 500 Snake Pit, with proceeds going to local charities
Josef and Shaun decided the hair industry needed help with the training of cosmetology students. At that point, they chose to help transform the industry to change the way students are taught and chose to open Indiana’s Premier Cosmetology Academy in 2003. The growth of their school has been so fantastic that they merged the brand of Avant Gard the Salon to their school, it is now known as Avant Gard the School est. 2010.
Josef and Shaun’s dream of finding the perfect location to have both side-by-side, has come true. They can provide every level of service starting at the branding of top quality education through Avant Gard the School carrying through to professional artistry from the designers at Avant Gard the Salon. Providing the utmost professionalism, and customer care that not only Hendricks County and Indianapolis deserves, but all of Avant Gard guests’ who travel from many different areas to visit the salon and school.
Frustrated with large corporations taking over our industry and providing highly toxic chemicals and less education to salons, Joseph and Shaun created the “Secret Seven” method. This method includes cutting, coloring, and business education. This is what we teach our students, and have always taught in the salon to stay the extra step above.
Josef and Shaun decided to go back on the hair show circuit and share this knowledge. As they were traveling, they were also looking to create and “Shaoé” product line. They found a family-owned business that has been around since 1950. Since the company shared their beliefs that you can use pure and clean products and still get fantastic results, they merged with the company and became their Creative Directors. This allowed Josef and Shaun to utilize their “Secret Seven” method and also use 100% Zero Ammonia hair color and nontoxic products, leaving the hair healthy, beautiful, and providing a clean environment for our staff and guests. Working with Mastey de Paris, Joseph and Shaun have been able to travel all over the world to educate, including Dubai, Hawaii, and Kuwait. This has allowed them to see the hair industry from many different perspectives, and bring this real world experience back to the salon and school.
Josef and Shaun have grown and maintained a loyal award-winning staff they call “Family.” The staff’s hard work and dedication has contributed to the success of Avant Gard. Our experience allows us to give each and every guest the care and attention they deserve. Refusing to compromise on quality, Avant Gard carries only the finest pure and clean products. Our product lines include, “Avant Gard”, “Mastey”, and soon to come “Shaoé” (Josef and Shaun’s International Artistic Line.)
Josef and Shaun wanted to build a salon, spa, boutique, and school unlike any other. They have accomplished this dream, and are proud to be in Avon, Indiana.
Avant Gard the Salon, the Spa, the Boutique, the Experience. “Where Hair and Art Collide”
Avant Gard the School “Where the Art of Hair Begins”